Do you struggle with those pesky leaves that just keep coming back? You’re not alone. But with the help of these 12 Tips to Clean Gutters, you can have a leaf-free home this fall and winter.
- Make sure your ladder is sturdy and well balanced
- Don’t use branches or other makeshift contraptions to reach over or around gutters.
- If you have downspouts on your house, make sure they’re connected to the gutter all way around so water can run away from your house.
- Cleaning gutters off of leaves and twigs is best done with an electric leaf blower, not with rakes or brooms.
- Wear gloves or work clothes that cover arms and legs
- Have buckets handy to catch any excessive rainwater or debris that falls into them.
- Cover sharp corners with guards to protect yourself
- Don’t wear anything that will get wet. And never stand in one place for too long (or it could cause serious back problems).
- Protect yourself from mosquitoes by wearing long sleeves, pants, and mosquito repellent
- Wear eye protection and ear protection if you’re going to be using power tools.
- Wear sturdy shoes or boots, preferably something rubber.
- Try to clean out your gutters when leaves are dry or frozen. If you must do it when they’re wet, bundle them up first.
You can avoid clogged gutters by clearing them of debris after every big storm. This is easier said than done for many homeowners but it is important if you want your home to stay tidy. You can get some help from friends or hire someone to do it for you. Or, you can invest in self-cleaning gutters that will keep your gutter clear and running smoothly. You should also check out our tips on how to clean gutters yourself and save money on expensive outside help!
A lot of people tend to neglect their gutters until they are blocked with leaves and other items that end up not just blocking water flow but attracting pests as well. It’s much cheaper to maintain your gutters now than to have an issue at hand later when your gutter starts overflowing, causing water damage to your property which usually causes more costs such as wood rot, insect infestation, and mold growth among others.
Leaves everywhere! They cover your lawn, hang on trees, get caught in gutters, and drive you nuts. It’s just not worth the effort to rake them up or blow them away because then they’re back again next week! Hire Leaf Pro USA to clean your gutters three times per year – it only takes an hour of our time but saves hours (or days) of yours.